Almost all people consider computer organization & architecture as the most difficult subject in the entire GATE CSE syllabus. But without getting good marks in this subject you can not get a good rank, because its weightage in the syllabus is somewhere around 10-15 marks and it’s quite a huge. Some portion of this subject is fairly simple like the Addressing mode section, and theoretical questions from RISC and CISC. But the rest of the parts are very confusing. The most important thing is that almost all the questions will be a numerical answer type. Where you will not have the options to choose instead you will have to fill your answer in the sheet. So to get good marks in COA section of GATE, I will highly suggest you follow the below points:
- Learn all the topics in your Coaching institute, doesn’t matter whether it is online or offline.
- Then I will highly suggest you go through these two youtube series:
- Computer Organization and Architecture Lecture Series 1
- Computer Organization and Architecture Lecture Series 2
- Once you are done with the above points, now its time to solve previous year questions. So go to GATE BOOK PDF BY GATEOVERFLOW, and try to solve all the questions from the COA section.
- If you stuck at any question, don’t directly jump to the solution but make a google search or youtube search on that particular topic, I am damn sure there will be some resource for that topic. First learn the concept, and then again try to solve the question.
- Once you solve a really hard question, try to write concepts related to that question/topic on a sheet of paper and try to revise daily. It will not take more than 20 minutes if you are doing this on a daily basis.
- If you are having some doubts about some topics, you can search that topic on gateoverflow. I am sure you will find some discussion thread related to that topic, but if you are not able to find, you can start your own thread.
- One of the most important things you have to revise your notes every 10 days.
- Try to solve all the questions from the gateoverflow book every 15 days. Within 2-3 revisions you will come to know the topics you need to focus more.
- Now you can watch NPTEL lectures related to the topics you selected in the previous point.
I am damn sure if you follow the above points, you will be able to get at least 80% marks in the COA part.
Best wishes for your GATE journey. Hope to meet you over LinkedIn with an IITian tag.